By Abdelwahab Meddeb,Benjamin Stora
This is the 1st encyclopedic consultant to the historical past of kin among Jews and Muslims around the globe from the beginning of Islam to this present day. Richly illustrated and fantastically produced, the e-book gains greater than one hundred fifty authoritative and obtainable articles by way of a world group of top specialists in background, politics, literature, anthropology, and philosophy. equipped thematically and chronologically, this necessary reference presents severe evidence and balanced context for higher old knowing and a extra proficient discussion among Jews and Muslims.
Part I covers the medieval interval; half II, the early sleek interval in the course of the 19th century, within the Ottoman Empire, Africa, Asia, and Europe; half III, the 20th century, together with the exile of Jews from the Muslim global, Jews and Muslims in Israel, and Jewish-Muslim politics; and half IV, intersections among Jewish and Muslim origins, philosophy, scholarship, paintings, ritual, and ideology. the most articles deal with significant themes equivalent to the Jews of Arabia on the foundation of Islam; precise profiles conceal vital participants and locations; and excerpts from fundamental resources offer modern perspectives on old events.
Contributors contain Mark R. Cohen, Alain Dieckhoff, Michael Laskier, Vera Moreen, Gordon D. Newby, Marina Rustow, Daniel Schroeter, Kirsten Schulze, Mark Tessler, John Tolan, Gilles Veinstein, and plenty of more.
- Covers the background of kinfolk among Jews and Muslims worldwide from the delivery of Islam to today
- Written by way of a global crew of top scholars
- Features in-depth articles on social, political, and cultural history
- Includes profiles of vital humans (Eliyahu Capsali, Joseph Nasi, Mohammed V, Martin Buber, Anwar Sadat and Menachem commence, Edward acknowledged, Messali Hadj, Mahmoud Darwish) and areas (Jerusalem, Alexandria, Baghdad)
- Presents passages from crucial records of every old interval, similar to the Cairo Geniza, Al-Sira, and Judeo-Persian illuminated manuscripts
- Richly illustrated with greater than 250 pictures, together with maps and colour photographs
- Includes huge cross-references, bibliographies, and an index
Read Online or Download A History of Jewish-Muslim Relations: From the Origins to the Present Day PDF
Similar historical reference books
A few insurgent teams abuse noncombatant populations, whereas others show restraint. rebel leaders in a few nations remodel neighborhood buildings of presidency, whereas others easily extract assets for his or her personal gain. In a few contexts, teams kill their sufferers selectively, whereas in different environments violence seems to be indiscriminate, even random.
Interpreting a 300-year interval that encompasses the clinical Revolution, this engrossing publication deals a clean and obviously equipped dialogue of the human event of health and wellbeing, drugs, and healthiness care, from the Age of Discovery to the period of the French Revolution. • images and illustrations from clinical texts and different works of the interval• A thesaurus of technical, cultural, and ancient phrases• A bibliography of recent and interval assets
For Germany, the Spanish Civil warfare proved an ideal trying out flooring for brand spanking new applied sciences and strategies. throughout the battle, a few 19,000 German 'volunteers' shaped an aviation workforce known as the Legion Condor in aid of the fascists. initially flying He-51s, they have been quickly upgraded to 109s. those opponents proved dominant within the Spanish skies, and lots of individuals of the legion scored 5 or extra kills throughout the combating.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2015 im Fachbereich Geschichte - Didaktik, observe: 1,5, Universität Stuttgart, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Die vorliegende Unterrichtseinheit wurde für die elfte Klasse entwickelt. Zunächst werden die anfänglichen Belastungen der Weimarer Republik behandelt. Dabei wird auf den Versailler Vertrag eingegangen und auch innenpolitische Probleme werden angesprochen.
- The French Revolutionary Wars (Essential Histories series)
- Youth for Nation: Culture and Protest in Cold War South Korea (Studies of the Weatherhead East Asian Institute, Columbia University)
- Historical Dictionary of Ancient and Medieval Nubia (Historical Dictionaries of Ancient Civilizations and Historical Eras)
- Der Maya-Kalender 1201-1300 n.Chr.: Haab - Tzolkin - Long Count für jeden einzelnen Tag (German Edition)
- Egypt : Contested Revolution
- Leading Them to the Promised Land: Woodrow Wilson, Covenant Theology, and the Mexican Revolution, 1913–1915 (New Studies in U.S. Foreign Relations)
Extra info for A History of Jewish-Muslim Relations: From the Origins to the Present Day
A History of Jewish-Muslim Relations: From the Origins to the Present Day by Abdelwahab Meddeb,Benjamin Stora